Key actions to prevent injuries due to machinery
Machinery can present hazards. These dangers are greatest when machinery is unreliable, faulty, or used improperly through inexperience or lack of training.
People can be injured by moving parts within machinery, or by material ejected from it. They can get caught between parts moving past one another or other fixed objects, resulting in crush injuries, cuts and abrasions. Even when a machine is powered down, sharp edges can cause cuts and rough surface parts can cause friction or abrasion.
The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) establish the duties of employers and workers to maintain health and safety when for example, handling, moving, installing, using, servicing, inspecting, maintaining and / or cleaning work equipment, including machinery.
Share the following key actions with your clients to help prevent injuries due to machinery:
- Perform a thorough assessment of risks to health and safety presented by work equipment, taking into account the type of work, substances involved, and electrical or mechanical hazards. and or mechanical hazards people may be exposed to.
- Establish and follow procedures to ensure that maintenance and inspection are carried out, including those required by law, and that pre-use safety checks are completed and recorded.
- Provide information, instruction and guidance to anyone who uses, maintains or inspects machinery.
- Install guards and warning signs where there’s a potential for exposure to extreme temperatures.
- Include in your health and safety induction and refresher training:
- Prevent access to dangerous parts by installing safety measures according to this hierarchy (or, in some cases, in combination):
- Fixed guards enclosing dangerous parts.
- If fixed guards aren’t practicable, use other methods, such as interlocking the guard so the machine can’t start before the guard is closed and can’t be opened while the machine is moving.
- Where guards can’t give full protection, use jigs, holders, push sticks, etc., if it is practicable to do so.
- Control any remaining risk by providing users with the necessary information, instruction, training, supervision and personal protective equipment.
Read more on the Allianz website.
View our product range
We can support our brokers with niche, hard to place risks as well as general insurance